Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tony Snow--A Great American

If you want an example of Who is a Great American, then look no farther, it's Tony Snow.

The only time I met Tony was when a friend of mine and I attended an informal panel of Dallas radio talk show hosts one evening. Tony was both a radio and TV celebrity at the time, and the most well known of all there. During the breaks, the panel would visit with those of us in the crowd.

Tony was different. He made each one he met feel like they were the most important. It wasn't a show with Tony, it was just Tony.

After Tony became Press Secretary, I was thrilled because now I personally had met someone important. But more important I had met someone really Great. I just didn't realize how great.

When Tony left for his cancer treatment I sent him an email of encouragement and told him how much he had impressed me when we met. I was even more convinced when I received the following response on August 10, 2007 which reflects in his own words What is a Great American:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Washington

Thank you for the wonderful email, and for including me in your
thoughts.

I have gotten hundreds of cards and emails from all over the country,
and I'm amazed and delighted by each and every one. The entire path of
my life over the last few years has taught me a very valuable lesson:
that blessings come in unexpected packages. Although I normally wouldn't
consider cancer a blessing, it has brought forth acts of kindness from
friends and strangers-and helped me understand the real power of
kindness and concern. It is as if I had been hoisted on the shoulders of
others, who have taken up my burden, and raised me up, so I can look at
life from a new and wonderful perspective.

That's one of the great things about being an American: people in this
country just want to do the right thing for others. And having been the
recipient of your kindness, I can assure you that I'm doing everything
in my power to learn from and emulate your example. Little gestures-a
call, an email, even a smile-can have enormous healing power, not just
on the person in need, but the person offering the encouragement. Isn't
it great how we always feel better when we do the right things?

So thank you for strengthening my faith in the things that matter-and
from the bottom of my heart, thanks for taking the time to write to me.

What a great gift!

God bless,

TONY SNOW

No comments: