Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Allen West Weekly Wrap-Up

Weekly Wrap-Up
There are those who feel the issues facing America are not threatening, certainly not of immediate concern. As I did my regular Saturday morning run along Fort Lauderdale beach this weekend, I pondered a simple question: "Who is leading America?"

Four days earlier, on Tuesday, we faced a very telling vote in the House of Representatives to approve yet another short-term Continuing Resolution (CR) to fund the Federal Government for FY 2011. The previous 111th Congress failed in one of their only true mandates, to develop a budget. We have been operating on these short-term measures since 1 October 2010. I had previously given my support to the CR on 1 March 2010 after we had passed HR 1 in the House of Representatives.

This past Tuesday I voted "Nay" on H.J. Res 48, the second Continuing Resolution. I voted no because in the month of February we spent $223B, although the shortest month of the year, it was the largest ever deficit spending month in United States history. Just as a comparison, President George W. Bush's biggest annual deficit was $400B. We are basically spending $4-$5B a day. Therefore, the offer of $6B of spending cuts over a three week period was nonsense. Furthermore, the offered cuts were the cuts "preferred" by the Democrats---meaning we did not even put up a fight for what the American people desire.

The measure passed 271-158. 54 Republicans voted "Nay" and from this group we shall have the nucleus to make a principled stand.

The President appointed Vice President Biden as his "budget negotiator," who then in turn departed the Country… so I repeat the question I was pondering: "Who is leading America?"
This is one smart guy. "Who is leading America?"

No comments: